Types of Groups
Groups can be designed to be static or dynamic.
Static groups and dynamic groups function in the same way, but there are a few differences between the two, including:
- How learners are selected to be part of the Group
- How the learners are updated between Groups
A static group is a list of users. The list is manually created so learners will not be added or removed based on user data. Admins must individually select which users to add to or remove from a static group.
A dynamic group is a grouping of users based on data identified in the user profile following created rules. A user will be automatically added or removed from a dynamic group based on how the rules match up with the data in the user's profile.
Dynamic Groups - How to Configure Group Rules
Navigate to Groups in the Manage Tools.
Click the Add Dynamic Group button.
Enter a Name for the Group, this can be edited later if needed. Then click the Save button.
Click the Add Rules button and create a rule using the Field, Operator and Value options.
- Select a Field to base the rule off. Fields come from the standard and custom data and date fields you are currently using.
- Select a Field-Value if you choose to use a rule based on Last Assignment Date or Last Completion Date. Drop down to select the Last Assignment Date for a Campaign or Last Completion Date for a Campaign or a particular Content Title. Please note: Last Completed Date may only be used for content completed in 2020 or later.
- Choose an Operator. Options currently include is / is not for data fields and is / is before / is after for date fields.
- Enter a Value. Follow each value by a comma or enter to create a "tag".
- Dynamic Rules Notes:
- Multiple tags may be populated for one field, which joins them together by "OR." The rules are joined together by “AND.”
- When using Hire Month in a dynamic rule, you must use the full text of the month (January, February, March, etc). This is case insensitive (January, FEBRUARY, MaRcH are all valid).
- Use the full numerical format (2018, 2019, 2020, etc) when creating a rule using Hire Year.
Click the Save button. Then, click the Preview Rules button to view a sample of Group members.
Static Groups - How to Create a Static Group
- Click the Add Static Group button
- Enter a Name for your Group
- Click the Save button
- Click the Add Members button
- Click the + button to the right of Users names or Group names to add them to the group
- Click the Save button
- Review the Group Name and Members
How to Remove Static Group Members
- Locate the Group in the list of Groups
- Click the pencil to the right of the Group name
- Click the Delete icon to the right of the name
- Click the OK button when asked to confirm "Delete member Member Name?"