sFTP or secure FTP enables people to transfer files securely. We offer this connection so there may be a smooth transfer of data from your HRIS system into Emtrain AI. Please note that your SFTP sync must be set up to send your csv file directly to a subdirectory.
- Configure your Emtrain AI Account with the Open Public RSA Key to establish validation
- Update your HRIS report export to be sure the formatting is correct
- Prepare a test file with 5-10 users & send to Emtrain for review
- Upload the test file in order to test and review selected records to be sure changes were made as intended
- Once test file is verified, file uploads may commence as frequently as once per week (or > every 7 days)
To configure the SFTP Data Sync, you will need to add an SFTP Key to the Integration area of the Site Config option located in the Manage Tools.
AI uses key-based authentication to authenticate the SFTP connection. The file sender (whether this is you or a third-party) must provision an Open Public RSA Key for the server or application that will be connecting to our SFTP host in advance of any transfer. This key will be used to validate the sender before the file can be sent. The first characters of the Open Public RSA Key will always be ssh-rsa followed by a long alphanumeric string. Please be sure to configure this in advance of any testing, as the file transfers cannot proceed without this key.
The order of columns in the file should match that which has been mapped on the account for the CSV Import Tool. If you need to update the mapping prior to establishing the integration, you may do so by manually uploading one record.
- Status must be sent as active or inactive (case sensitive).
- Data will be synced using the email address.
- Even though it is not a sync key, the system requires that the EEID must also be unique.
- Supervisor Status must be sent as Yes or No.
- Date fields must be listed as YYYY-MM-DD.
When configuring your HR system to generate HR Learner Sync import files, the following file name (naming convention) is recommended:
emtrain_hr_learner_sync_YYYY_MM_DD.csv (e.g. emtrain_hr_learner_sync_2015_01_01.csv)
Order of Processing
You may send multiple files should you choose to (new hire roster, promotions, terminations) in lieu of a full file. If you send multiple files, our server locates all sent files at one time, then processes them one by one. To reduce processing time, it is strongly recommended that you only send your deltas rather than your entire roster.
Emtrain is able to offer file transfer with PGP encryption. Should you opt to use PGP, please advise your Implementation Specialist. They in turn will activate the PGP encryption feature on your account and provide the public key to be use in the encryption process.
Sending the file
The file sender connects to our SFTP server via a File Client with the following credentials:
- Host: sftp-ai.emtrain.com
- Directory: /csv-sftp
- Port: Set this to "2222"
- Protocol: Set this to "SFTP - SSH File Transfer Protocol"
- User: Account Id (obtain this by navigating to the Site Config area of the Manage Tools and choose the Integration tab.)
Please note that your SFTP sync must be set up to send your csv file directly to a subdirectory. The file must be uploaded to the folder /csv-sftp. Emtrain is not able to process files unless they are uploaded directly to the folder. An sftp client should create this folder if it does not exist, which is something that most sftp systems do automatically.
Frequency & Transfer Timing
Files should be loaded no more than once per week. While our sweeper typically uploads files within 24 hours, we can sometimes see load times closer to 48 hours depending on volume. For any file that should be uploaded, it must be properly placed on our servers prior to 5pm Pacific Time. Anything later may result in a longer processing time before the file updates the account.